This year the LAN room will feature three VR pods where attendees can come and try out various VR experiences on the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive!
In addition to our new VR pods, the LAN room is vastly increasing the number (about 50) of free-play public PC's available.
As for tournaments and the LAN Theater, we will have two theaters (A and B) with overflow space in the LAN room.
Our premiere 10Gigabit backbone network with 1 gigabit client ports will be returning as well, bigger and better than ever.
This year we are back in the Maryland Ballroom, but this time with much more space. There is one entrance and exit (closer to the bathrooms!) which optimizes our ability to make sure your equipment stays put. We are continuing use of the BarcodeSystem for your items' security. However, MAGFest is NOT RESPONSIBLE and accepts NO LIABILITY for ANY attendee equipment including but not limited to computers, monitors, and mice. Please keep this in mind while attending MAGFest LAN and secure your personal belongings appropriately!
To better accommodate everyone we are increasing our capacity by almost 100 seats from last year to over 500 total seats. You should still try to arrive by mid-day on Friday to secure yourself a spot. We will have limited space and are expecting the room to run out of available seats, so please seat yourself appropriately and do not take up multiple spaces or leave large gaps between groups.
GENERAL RULES OF THE LAN ROOM
- You must follow all LAN staff instructions.
- Your monitor cannot be larger than 36 inches because of limited space. Please limit yourself to using only one monitor.
- No sleeping in the LAN room. Some napping on your keyboard is tolerable, but please leave your sleeping bag in your hotel room.
- Headphones required, no speakers allowed.
- No e-cig/vaping allowed.
- Please bring an CAT5e/CAT6 Ethernet cable that is at least 20 feet in length. You will be responsible for hooking up to our network, NOT US. We will have LIMITED STOCK of pre-packaged ethernet cables for sale for a non-ridiculous price in case you forget to bring one. Because we don’t have enough to go around we will no longer be providing free loaner cables.
- Please bring a power strip for YOUR EQUIPMENT. MAGFest provides one strip for each group of four seats. You plug your power strip into this strip and only this strip. DO NOT DAISY-CHAIN MULTIPLE POWERSTRIPS.
- Please do NOT plug in your own networking equipment such as switches and routers. It can cause problems. Trust us.
- Please adhere to the guidelines that are in the program guide as well as the posted notices in the LAN room as far as conduct and network connections go.
TOURNAMENTS AND CONTESTS
There are 17 official tournaments and contests planned for this year, with lots of old and new games. We’re including more non-BYOC tournaments, as well as a new type of tournament we're called "flex attendance events." You can find all of the info on all of our tournaments on Reddit.
This year we will be running two LAN Theaters throughout the event. The Theater entrances are right around the corner from the main LAN room, and is the perfect place to watch many of our premier tournaments. We plan to be livestreaming from the Theater with color commentary, so you can come see the best MAGFest has to offer competing to be #1! We increased the size of the room, so be sure to come by and support competitive PC gaming. Don’t forget to tell your friends to come as well, they might get to the chance to cheer you on!
We will also be some late night panel-type content in the LAN Theaters, so keep an eye out for that. You can view the Theater schedule here.
Why follow us? We’re hoping to hold online tournaments for fun and prizes, and our various online accounts are also great places to ask questions, meet your fellow gamers, and stay informed.
We're always looking for new staffers and volunteers to help us run the PC Gaming areas. Got experience in commentating live games? Want to help set up the network prior to the event starting? Want to run a few tournaments? Let us know! Email us at email@example.com and tell us you’d like to help out!